A few months back, we ran an in-depth feature on Moff's Summer Ale, the little beer that can and frequently does, as part of The Story Of... series. And the Moffat Beach flagship has proven impervious to the commentator's curse, going onto claim yet another Grand Champion Beer Of Show trophy at the 2023 Royal Queensland Beer Awards.
It's the second time this decade that Sunshine Coast-based brewery founded by Matt (pictured above) and Shaz Wilson has claimed the top gong at the awards and keeps their phenomenal streak in beer competitions going. Moffat Beach also picked up Best Queensland Beer, Best Session Beer (both for Moff's) and Best Small to Medium Brewery.
Other big winners included Stomping Ground, the Collingwood-based brewery in the news last month after their proposed sale to Good Drinks was called off. They claimed Champion Amber-Dark Ale for their Upside Down Brown, Champion Lager for their Czech Pilsner, and Champion Large Brewery.
One of Queenland's younger operations, Scarborough Harbour, have plenty to celebrate too after being named Champion Brewpub and Best New Brewery. Josh Batten, of 10 Toes, was named Best New Queensland Craft Brewer of the Year.
As the results were announced, judge Steve "Hendo" Henderson described Moff's as a well-made, easy drinking beer, adding: "Moffat Beach Brewing Co has demonstrated in this competition they can make a good beer, year after year.
"The fact they won Grand Champion in 2020 and have backed it up again this year, shows they’re a high-quality brewery consistently outperforming the rest of the industry."
A record 663 beers were entered in the 2023 competition, an increase of more than 15 percent on 2022, and were judged by 50 experienced brewers, sensory experts and industry figures over two days.
Hendo praised the overall standard of beers, saying: "One of the areas that improved the most was non-alcoholic beer, which has just gone from strength to strength.
"You don’t even know they’re non-alcoholic beers when tasting them – it wasn’t like that a few years ago."
- CHAMPION PALE ALE SUPPORTED BY YAKIMA CHIEF HOPS Glass House Brewery - Tropical Pale Ale Draught
- CHAMPION AMBER DARK-ALE Stomping Ground Brewing Co - Upside Down Brown Draught
- CHAMPION PORTER-STOUT SUPPORTED BY KONVOY KEGS Black Brewing Co - Black Brewing Co Bao Bao Milk Stout Draught
- CHAMPION HYBRID BEER SUPPORTED BY SHOOBRIDGE TRANSPORT Bacchus Brewing Company - Critical Dramage Packaged
- CHAMPION LAGER SUPPORTED BY BARRET BURSTON MALTING Stomping Ground Brewing Co - Czech Pilsner Draught
- CHAMPION INDIA PALE ALE SUPPORTED BY HPA Range Brewing - Power Trip Packaged
- CHAMPION EUROPEAN-STYLE ALE SUPPORTED BY BREWS NEWS Nail Brewing Australia - Billabong Wheat Draught
- CHAMPION SESSION BEER SUPPORTED BY YAKIMA CHIEF HOPS Moffat Beach Brewing Co – Moff’s Summer Ale Draught
- CHAMPION STRONG BEER All Inn Brewing Co - All Inn Brewing Co Red IPA Draught
- CHAMPION MIXED CULTURE BEER SUPPORTED BY KEGSTAR Hound & Stag Brewing Co - Red Baron Draught
- THE STAR ENTERTAINMENT GROUP BEST QUEENSLAND BEER OF SHOW Moffat Beach Brewing Co – Moff’s Summer Ale Draught
- KONVOY KEGS BEST NEW BREWERY Scarborough Harbour Brewing Co
- HPA CHAMPION SMALL/MEDIUM BREWERY Moffat Beach Brewing Co
- CRYER MALT CHAMPION LARGE BREWERY Stomping Ground Brewing Co
- CHAMPION BREWPUB Scarborough Harbour Brewing Co
- THE STAR ENTERTAINMENT GROUP BEST NEW QUEENSLAND CRAFT BREWER OF THE YEAR Josh Batten - 10 Toes Brewery
- RALLINGS GRAND CHAMPION BEER Moffat Beach Brewing Co – Moff’s Summer Ale Draught
The full results catalogue is available here.