Capital Brewing have been expanding quickly and sustainably with the brewery carbon neutral and a certified B Corp.
If you have extensive experience as a brewer, have operated strategically across business units and are passionate about sustainability, this might be the role just for you.
Job Description: Head of Production
Capital Brewing Co is one of Australia’s fastest-growing craft breweries and has been making award-winning Good Natured Brews from our Canberra brewery and taproom since mid-2017. We are dedicated to making good beer, being good to nature and good for our community. We have recently achieved B Corp Certification, one of only three breweries in Australia to hold the certification, and we’re proudly carbon neutral. We all love what we do, work hard, and have a great deal of fun doing it.
Purpose of the Role
- To provide end-to-end management oversight across production, quality control/assurance, procurement and warehousing.
- To provide leadership and supervision to the production and warehouse teams.
- Mentor and develop staff to facilitate team capability growth, skill development and career progression - manage regular ‘check-ins’, performance reviews and development planning.
- Manage team resources through production scheduling and staff rostering
- Actively identify and implement process improvements to drive efficiency and quality
- Participate in recipe development, innovation, research and development on the brewhouse, cellar and packaging
- Able to act as an active member of the production team if required, performing daily production duties in wort production, cellar, packaging and quality control.
Role and Responsibilities
- Work as an active member of the production team across wort production, cellar & packaging
- Continual systems and process improvement
- Efficiency improvement in labour cost per litre and product yield percentages
- Oversight of quality control, lab testing and record-keeping
- Management and implementation of best practice Food Safety Management
- Implementation of HACCP practices across CCP’s in the production process
- Oversight of the timely and accurate completion of brewsheets with all required data
- Excise record keeping & compliance - flow meters, ABV, package quantities, records of losses
- Regular liaison with the head of sales, marketing team and taproom venue managers to coordinate business requirements
- Management and oversight of the following
- Procurement and supplier agreements
- Stock levels (finished goods, dry goods, raw materials)
- Stock rotation
- Incoming and outgoing freight
- Stock control and stock take functions
In partnership with the Health and Safety Administrator;
- Fosters a safety focussed culture amongst the production team
- Lead the production team by example, demonstrating best practice in safety
- Continually work to identify process improvements in the safety management system
- Work actively with the site safety manager
- Oversee quality control procedures in the brewhouse and cellar
- Never accept second best quality or quality management practices
- Continually work to identify and implement quality assurance and control process improvements
HR & Staff Welfare
In partnership with the People and Culture Manager ensures;
- Effective onboarding and cultural engagement
- Training in operational procedures
- Measuring operational effectiveness
- Regular performance reviews
- Development planning for all team members
- Fostering a positive, collaborative and inclusive culture
- Timely identification and performance management of underperforming
You will bring
- A relevant qualification in an associated discipline
- High level of integrity and a shared vision of the role of sustainability throughout all production processes
- Applied knowledge and understanding of brewing practices, including:
- An in-depth understanding of brewing science
- Several years of production experience in brewing, cellaring, clarification and packaging operations
- Recipe development
- Advanced knowledge of sensory analysis including and in-depth understanding of beer styles and judging
- Strong quality assurance skills & experience, including:
- PCR analysis
- Spectrophotometer analysis
- Aseptic lab techniques
- COA analysis
- A passion for innovation and the ability to provide detailed recommendations throughout production processes including ROI’s and environmental impact reports
- Business awareness including an ability to present meaningful reporting on departmental financials
- Strategic thinking and an ability to assess the commercial viability of new product development
To apply, please email Jo via email@example.com.
Applications close on February 28, 2023.