The Sunshine Coast's Moffat Beach Brewing have taken out the top prize at the Royal Queensland Food and Wine Show (RQFWS) Beer Awards. Trophies were handed out at the Brisbane Showgrounds today (March 4), with Moffs Summers Ale Draught named Grand Champion Beer.
The tiny – although soon to be not-so-tiny – operation also scooped Champion Brewpub and Champion India Pale Ale for their Hazed & Confused Hazy IPA. It continues an impressive run of form for the brewpub founded by Shaz and Matt Wilson (pictured above at our Meet The Indies Champs event last year), following a series of gold medals at every beer competition they've entered in recent years and the Champion Small Brewery title at The Indies in 2018.
"We're super-stoked," Matt told The Crafty Pint as the couple made their way back home from the awards. "Still in shock, mate!"
It turns out they almost missed the deadline to enter too.
"I was listening to the Brews News podcast and heard Prof saying he was flying up [to Brisbane] for the awards. I had a look and saw the beers had to be there by four o'clock last Friday," Matt said. "I had two beers uncarbonated in tank so had to pump CO2 into them and had Shaz sticking labels on the cans..."
The win comes at a good time for them too as they hope to have their production brewery and second venue open by winter to allow them to increase production and enter the wholesale market for the first time.
"We're pretty close," he said. "We've got our gear stuck in China at the moment. They've gone back to work so it should be on the water in the next 20 days."
Then, once their final hurdle with council is resolved, they'll be on the home straight and looking forward to welcoming guests to their new home.
The other Champion Brewery titles stayed in Brisbane too, with Aether Brewing and Ballistic Beer taking the champion small/medium and large titles respectively. Other Queensland breweries such as 10 Toes, Felons and Green Beacon also won trophies, as too did the regular award-winners at Sydney Brewery.
A total of 402 beers from 51 breweries were entered in the competition and some of the medal-winners will be pouring at RQFWS’s inaugural Kingdom of Beers event on Saturday, March 7, at the Brisbane Showgrounds.
Full list of trophy winners
- Grand Champion Beer - Moffat Beach Moffs Summer Ale
- Champion Small/Medium Brewery - Aether Brewing
- Champion Large Brewery - Ballistic Beer Company
- Champion Brewpub - Moffat Beach Brewing Co
- Champion Pale Ale - 10 Toes Brewery Pipeline
- Champion Amber Dark Ale - Aether Brewing Black as Your Heart
- Champion Porter-Stout - Sydney Brewery Potts Point Porter
- Champion Hybrid Beer - Ballistic Beer Company Oaked XPA
- Champion Lager - Sydney Brewery Surry Hills Pils
- Champion India Pale Ale - Moffat Beach Hazed & Confused Hazy IPA
- Champion European-Style Ale - One Drop 5 Brett Saison
- Champion Session Beer Moffat Beach Moffs Summer Ale
- Champion Strong Beer Felons Brewing Imperial Stout
- Champion Mixed Culture Beer Green Beacon Fathom Berliner Style Weisse
- Champion Beer Utilising Desalinated Water - Ballistic Water Me Lawn