UPDATE: This role has now been filled.
Valhalla Brewing are moving ever closer to opening their home in an historic precinct in North Geelong.
Before they fire up the brewery and welcome their first guests, they're looking to take on an experienced brewer.
Job Description: Senior Brewer
Valhalla Brewing are an independently owned brewery and taproom based in Geelong Victoria. Founded in 2016, Valhalla started life as a gypsy brewing operation.
While the gypsy brewing model has served us well (we were awarded Champion Gypsy Brewer at the 2021 AIBAs), it is well and truly time to build our own production facility. We are therefore building a 15 hectolitre, steam driven, automated brewery in the historic Federal Mills precinct in North Geelong with an expected completion in June/July 2023.
We are therefore looking for an experienced brewer to join our small but passionate team and to be an integral part of the next phase of the Valhalla journey.
As Valhalla’s senior brewer you will be required to oversee day-to-day operations of our Federal Mills Geelong production facility. You will be expected to take care of our existing core range and seasonal beers. You will also have the opportunity to develop and produce new recipes in collaboration with the brewing director and other key sales and hospitality staff.
As a small, family owned operation we require all our staff to be flexible all-rounders. Your role may initially involve all aspects of the brewing and packaging process. You may also be expected to liaise with customers, key suppliers, media outlets and key staff including distribution, sales and hospitality staff.
Your specific roles may include (but not be limited to):
- Managing production schedules including contract brews
- Liaising with key suppliers, order ingredients and maintaining ingredients inventory
- Managing wort production and fermentation/cellaring process
- Maintaining accurate records
- Recipe development
- Maintaining a clean and safe working environment
- Training support staff
- Liaising with key staff including the directors, distribution manager, sales and marketing manager, and hospitality manager
- Ongoing workflow and efficiency improvement
- Liaising with maintenance staff and/or maintaining equipment
- Managing brew shifts/rosters
The successful applicant must have:
- Minimum 3 years experience in a commercial brewing environment
- The ability to work within a small team environment
- A passion for the independent craft beer industry
- Enthusiasm for a new challenge
- An analytical, problem solving mind set
- Ability to think outside the square when obvious solutions are not available
- Experience in designing commercial recipes
- Ability to follow existing recipes and produce consistent, quality beer in a commercial environment
- A commitment to maintaining the highest level of quality control at all times
- In-depth knowledge of the brewing process
- An unwavering commitment to cleanliness
Specifics about this role:
- Work and live in Victoria’s second largest city. Geelong offers a laid-back lifestyle within close proximity to the Bellarine Peninsula, Surf Coast, Great Ocean Road and Otway Ranges.
- A competitive salary package will be designed around your experience and qualifications.
- Opportunities exist for further professional training and development
- Hours will typically be Monday to Friday but some shift and weekend work may be required from time to time
- Flexible working hours are negotiable
- Start date approx June 2023
To express your interest in this role, email your resume and covering letter to email@example.com.
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.