Prancing Pony are an award-winning brewery whose home is in the Adelaide Hills.
If you're an experienced brewer keen to join them, they're hiring.
JOB DESCRIPTION: SENIOR BREWER
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a passionate Senior Brewer. We are looking for someone with demonstrable brewing, production, and team leadership experience in producing high quality beers. Working closely with the Head of Brewing Operation, this is a key position at the ‘Pony’, and you will be responsible for day-to-day operations of our production facility in the Adelaide Hills.
A minimum of five years commercial brewing experience is a prerequisite to apply.
The Prancing Pony Brewery is an award-winning craft brewery located in Totness, on the outskirts of Mt Barker, SA and we are in our 11th year of operation.
We are an ’all grain, all hop’ brewery and are well known to honour brewing traditions to create award-winning and reliable beers.
We actively promote a positive working culture, diversity, and individualism and we create a safe working environment, physically and mentally.
‘Rarely Tame, Always Reliable’ is our motto and we do it with authenticity, integrity camaraderie, and a good dose of humour.
The Senior Brewer role will handle the day-to-day operation of the brewery. This includes safety, wort production, packaging, and quality. This role also requires the day-to-day implementation of the weekly production schedules and plans communicated by the Head of Brewing Operation.
You will lead a team of two and work ‘on the tools’ on a daily basis. Excellent record keeping and ensuring documentation of all processes is essential and a high degree of computer literacy is a vital requirement.
Ongoing quality and efficiency suggestions, improvements and implementations are an essential part of this role.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the production floor to achieve production targets on time, on quality, and on cost.
- Coordinate and supervise the brewery team, to ensure safe work practices and policies are always met and adhered to.
- Train new production team members.
- Brewing, cellaring, packaging, and all associated activities (cleaning, transfers, dry-hopping, yeast management, etc. as we are a small production team, we do rotate staff.)
- Raw material and dry goods management including ordering, stock control and stock takes.
- Brewing and production records are kept, complete and entered the system.
- Follow all SOP’s and improve existing and implement new SOP’s when required.
- Total quality control and quality improvements.
- Recipe improvements in terms of beer flavour and process efficiency.
- New recipe developments in collaboration with Head of Brewing Operation.
- Process trouble shooting and maintenance tasks.
- Assist with production planning and staff rostering.
- Coordinate spent grain bin collection with the farmers.
- Conduct occasional brewery tours.
- Participate with marketing activities as required (e.g., events, beer festivals)
- Be part of a great team and great brand.
- Attractive salary.
- Generous Take home beer allowance.
- Reduced rates on all Hospitality Venue Spend.
- Opportunities for advancement and encouragement to further your career.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience brewing beer in a commercial operation
- Formal brewing education at a certificate level as a minimum. Relevant qualification in chemistry, biology, engineering, etc. are highly desirable.
- Having had sensory training and or beer evaluation experience is essential.
- Good understanding of Excel, Word, and other software applicable to brewing and record keeping
- Experience with MRP (Beer 30 or fishbowl, etc) needed.
- Valid RSA , Driver’s license and Forklift license.
- Canning machine operation experience required.
Reporting and Performance:
This role will report to the Head of Brewery Operation and work closely with other members of the brewery.
Please send a Cover Letter and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close on October 15, 2022.
Our ideal candidate is a person with excellent communication skills, a good sense of humour, empathy for others and a team player mentality.