The Gold Coast has become an impressive hub of craft beer, with breweries turning the city and its surrounds into a region known for beer as much as the beach.
If you'd like to lead all things beer for a brand new operation, a new Burleigh brewpub is hiring a head brewer.
Job Description: Head Brewer
Project Bravo Group is opening a brand-new brewpub, distillery and smokehouse located in the white-hot Gold Coast suburb of Burleigh, scheduled to open in December 2021. We are seeking a quality-focussed Head Brewer who will spearhead our brand by producing awesome beer.
Project Bravo is all about kicking back, feeling good and relaxing with a fresh local beer in hand in our brewery located close to the sea. Our beer will be reliable, honest, quality-driven and designed to take people’s cares away.
Our venue will have a relaxing coastal vibe and be run by a talented team who care.
We have procured a German designed 15hL automated, steam-fired brewhouse as well as sufficient fermentation capacity to produce up to 400,000L per annum in both keg and can, with ample room to grow. The brewery is due to be commissioned from December 2021.
Our vision is to create award-winning beers that are made with safety and quality as our highest priorities.
About the Head Brewer Role
We are seeking a Head Brewer who will not only produce our product but will also be a key part of the yet to be announced Project Bravo brand.
Our ideal candidate will:
- already have permission to work and live in Australia.
- be passionate about brewing as well as craft beer itself.
- Be able to travel interstate and internationally
- Be able to take a leading role in the development of award-winning beer recipes. We know what styles of beer we’d like to bring to our fans and our Head Brewer will help us realise those creations.
- Know what it takes to brew high-quality beer from a diverse range of styles.
- Be able to not only brew our regular core range, but also get creative and develop a solid seasonal beer program.
- Be a self-starter who can work independently as well as part of a team.
- Be great with people and can represent the brewery under our brewery brand.
- Be physically fit enough to be able to lift 25kg above their shoulders or drag spent grain out of the mash tun.
Tasks of the Job Include:
- Working in a manner that is safe at all times.
- New product development according to our product specification standard.
- Production planning and scheduling.
- Cost planning
- Liaising with suppliers to procure raw materials, packaging, and ancillary services.
- Management of the brewery inventory (both raw materials and finished goods).
- Raw ingredient handling, all aspects of a brew day, transferring wort and beer, yeast handling, packaging, monitoring fermentations, record keeping etc.
- Operate brewhouse with maximum attention to detail and accuracy (milling, mashing, lautering, proper gravities, etc.)
- Cellar management (gravity checks, trub dumps and dry-hopping)
- CIP and SIP on all vessels (fermenters, heat exchanger, mash tun, kettle, and bright beer tanks)
- Maintaining a clean working environment. This is a brewery that’s on display to the public and it must look tip-top at all times.
- Troubleshooting, technical maintenance and liaising with trades.
- Development of the brewery’s SOPs.
- Implementation and/or utilisation of production and cellaring software to maximise business efficiencies.
Brewer Qualifications Required:
At a minimum, the Brewer must have the following:
- At least 2 years experience working in a commercial brewery.
- A formal brewing education such as:
- TAFE Certificate III or IV,
- University Undergraduate or Postgraduate degree in Brewing,
- IBD General Certificate of Brewing or above or
- Private formal education such as Siebel, Doemans or VLB.
- A safety focus.
- A current drivers license.
- Strong work ethic and self-starting attitude.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work autonomously.
- Excellent organisation and communication skills.
- Outstanding IT skills in Microsoft Office, Beer30, Ekos, Orchestrated Beer or other Brewery Management System.
- The desire to learn.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods.
- Ability to stoop, crawl, twist, turn, lift, kneel, climb ladders and stairs.
- Ability to manipulate valves and clamps.
- Ability to read and follow written English instructions.
- Ability to regularly lift/carry heavy supplies, like bags of grain and kegs of beer.
- Ability to work in a brewery environment which may be loud, slick, humid, and hot and cold.
- Ability to comply with safe chemical handling procedures, including personal protection equipment such as gloves and goggles.
Though not mandatory, we would look fondly upon the following:
- A forklift LF ticket.
- Previous awards won for your work in competition such as AIBA, The Indies etc.
- QLD Responsible Service of Alcohol ticket.
This is a full-time role with salary commensurate with experience to the right applicant.
A relocation allowance will be considered if the successful candidate needs to move to the Gold Coast.
How to apply:
If you would like to be considered for this amazing opportunity and join the Project Bravo team, be sure to email your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP as we are looking to move quickly.
Project Bravo Group is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.